Candida yeast is a normal part of the vaginal environment. However, if too much is present, it can cause a yeast infection. This type of infection is very common in women. Almost three out of four women have had at least one yeast infection in their lifetime.
At Dignity Health Central California, our women’s services team is committed to providing comprehensive care for all stages of a woman’s life. In addition to maternity care, we offer a range of gynecology services, including treatment for yeast infection, in Central California. Find a Doctor with expertise in treating this common, uncomfortable infection.
What Causes Yeast Infection?
Several factors can cause yeast to overgrow, including:
- Weakened immune system caused by medical treatments or diseases, such as corticosteroid use or HIV
- Antibiotic use, which kills “good” bacteria that help keep yeast in check
- High estrogen levels, caused by birth control pills, hormone supplements, or natural hormone swings during puberty and pregnancy
- Diabetes, which causes an increase in blood sugar that fuels the growth of yeast
To help prevent yeast infections:
- Avoid or minimize antibiotic use.
- Do not wear tight-fitting pants or undergarments.
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Change out of wet clothing as soon as possible.
Yeast Infection Symptoms
Signs of a yeast infection include:
- Vaginal pain and soreness
- Swollen, reddened vulva
- Genital irritation and itching
- Burning sensation when having intercourse or urinating
- Watery vaginal discharge
- Thick, whitish vaginal discharge
Yeast Infection Treatment at Dignity Health Central California
The goal of yeast infection treatment is to return the vaginal environment to normal. Treatment options for yeast infection include:
- Over-the-counter suppositories and creams. These antifungal medicines come in one-dose options, three- and five-day treatments, and week-long regimens. Your doctor can recommend which one is right for you.
- Prescription suppositories or creams. Sometimes prescription options cost less than over-the-counter treatments.
- Medication taken by mouth. A single prescription pill (oral medication) can sometimes cure a yeast infection. Additional doses over days or weeks can help clear up recurring or severe yeast infections.
With the right treatment, most yeast infections go away in a few days.
If you think you have a yeast infection but aren’t sure, it’s important to see your doctor. Other vaginal infections can cause similar symptoms, so an accurate diagnosis will help your treatment be most effective.
Dignity Health Central California provides fast and effective treatment for yeast infection in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.