Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the Nursing team at St. John’s hospitals. The Nurse Residency and Transition programs are designed to assist recently graduated and RNs wishing to transition to acute care as well as those desiring specialty training. The programs are developed keeping the Benner’s Model of nursing in mind; transitioning the RN from the novice to expert role as a professional nurse.
The Nurse Residency and Transition programs are a blended learning program using online, classroom, simulation and clinical preceptorship on the assigned area to ensure success. Successful completion includes 100% validation of assigned skills, completion of clinical hours, and active participation in classroom and evaluation processes.
The programs are a yearlong experience including a Mentorship and monthly classes designed to enhance knowledge and skills. Successful candidates will be individuals that have graduated within one year prior to start of the program and have a valid California RN license. RNs with experience in LTC facilities and wish to transition into the acute care setting are also welcomed.
Download packet/portfolio to be completed
Forms You Will Need to Apply to Our Program (your portfolio)
- Online Application
- Licensure, Vacation & Employment Statement
- Unit Preference Request
- 2 Letters of Reference for clinical Instructor or current employer. Please ensure the letter is signed and dated on a school letterhead if applicable.
- College transcript
- Personal Statement no longer that 2 pages explaining:
- What lead you to become a Nurse
- Explain why you are interested in the Residency programs and St John’s Regional Medical Center and St. John's Hospital Camarillo
- Explain why you have selected the area/unit you have applied
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years
Via e-mail, send the above documents to [email protected], with a subject line of “Nursing Program Application”.
All applications and supporting documents will be reviewed so please be patient. Those selected to be interviewed will be notified. We do read the applications and supporting material; please be thorough in your responses. Notification of interviews will begin in the middle of April.
Faustino Cruz, MSN/Ed, RN
RN Supervisor, Residency Program
If You are Hired
If you are hired, you will be required to provide the following documents to Human Resources prior to stating employment:
- RN License
- Original American Heart Association (AHA) (BLS, ACLS or PALS)
- Copy of Degree awarded