Headache is pain located anywhere in the head or neck. It is the most common form of pain people experience. Some headaches can be the sign of an underlying condition, such as stroke, but most headaches are not serious.
The expert neurologists at Dignity Health North State can help find the cause of your headache in Northern California. Find a Doctor near you today for personal care for any neurological condition.
The most common symptom of headache is pain in any region of the head. Headache pain is often described as pounding, throbbing, or vice-like.
Other headache symptoms can include:
- Sinus pressure
- Neck pain
- One-sided pain in the head
- Muscle tension
- Visual “aura” or disturbance
- Upset stomach
If you experience a sudden headache, incoherent speech, and one-sided weakness, this could be the sign of a stroke. Dial 911 for immediate medical assistance.
There are four types of headaches:
- Tension headaches are the most common type of headache. Tension headaches are often due to stress and and cause the muscles of the neck, jaw, and face to tighten.
- Vascular headaches are caused by underlying disorders or conditions, such as high blood pressure.
- Traction headaches are caused by illnesses, including bleeding in the brain, elevated spinal fluid pressure, and sinus infection.
- Inflammatory headaches are caused by infections, such as meningitis.
Migraines are recurring severe headaches. Experts do not know the exact cause of migraines, however the symptoms are treatable.
Headache Treatment at Dignity Health North State
Once your doctor at Dignity Health North State has diagnosed the type and cause of your headache, they can develop a personalized treatment plan based on your specific needs. In most cases, treatment addresses the underlying cause of your headache as well as relieving your pain.
Treatment typically involves medications and lifestyle modifications, including stress reduction, exercise, and deep breathing. Some types of headache or migraine may be caused by your genetic background (family history).
To find complete care for headache and migraine, including advanced diagnostic technologies and personalized treatment plans, visit a Dignity Health North State location near you:
Dignity Health North State hospitals offer the latest treatment for neurological conditions, including headache, in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.