Treatment Options for Cerebral Palsy in Southern California
Cerebral palsy (CP) refers to a group of disorders caused by abnormalities in the part of the brain responsible for muscle movement. Beyond movement problems, cerebral palsy can also cause learning disabilities, problems with vision, and other difficulties.
At Dignity Health Southern California, treatment strategies for cerebral palsy focus on addressing symptoms and improving quality of life through supportive care. We offer personalized neurology services at these state-of-the-art locations:
To learn more about our individualized cerebral palsy treatment in Southern California, use our online Find a Doctor tool and make an appointment today.
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
The most common treatments for cerebral palsy include:
- Assistive devices, including wheelchairs, hearing aids, eyeglasses, and braces
- Occupational and physical therapy to improve flexibility, motor coordination, and muscle tone
- Medications to treat muscle spasm, pain, and related conditions, such a seizures
- Social services, including access to programs for children with learning disabilities
- Speech therapy to improve swallowing, reduction of drooling, oral motor skills, and improve speech
- Surgery to correct skeletal abnormalities or release tight muscles as necessary
- Ongoing medical monitoring to address related conditions or complications, if they arise
Considering Your Treatment Options for CP at Dignity Health
At Dignity Health Southern California, we know each person experiences cerebral palsy differently. We develop treatment plans personalized to your child’s unique situation. We know that early detection is the key to the most successful treatment strategies. Programs designed to help children with CP overcome learning disabilities and developmental delays have shown to work best when a child has the earliest access possible to them. Related conditions, including incontinence and seizures, are identified and treated with the help of ongoing monitoring.
An important part of any cerebral palsy treatment strategy is social support in a compassionate environment. Consider consulting with one of our social workers for help connecting to support systems in your community.
Surgery, medication, and other medical interventions for cerebral palsy often involve some level of risk. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of any proposed treatments.Dignity Health offers personalized and compassionate cerebral palsy treatment options in Southern California.