Physical therapy (PT) uses things like exercise and massage to treat disease, injury, and deformity. At Dignity Health Southern California hospitals, orthopedic doctors typically prescribe physical therapy as an initial treatment or as a part of postoperative care after surgery. In some cases, physical therapy can help a person avoid surgery. In others, it may be part of a long-term treatment plan for a chronic illness.
A form of rehabilitation, orthopedic physical therapy can help stimulate the body’s natural healing process, decrease pain, and restore movement and function. It can also help prevent or delay disability. Our highly trained orthopedists can help you find the right type of physical therapy in Southern California. Find a Doctor near you for expert care.
Reasons for Physical Therapy
Your doctor may recommend physical therapy to treat an orthopedic condition or injury, before resorting to medications or surgery. It is often part of an overall recovery strategy after surgery.
Physical therapy is often prescribed for:
If you have chronic pain or disability, meet with a doctor at Dignity Health Southern California to see if physical therapy may be right for you.
What to Expect with Physical Therapy at Dignity Health Southern California
When you meet with a physical therapist, you will talk about your condition or injury, the associated symptoms, and your medical history. Your therapist will assess your range of motion, balance, strength, and posture.
Depending on your condition, you may have several types of therapy, including:
- Massage therapy to reduce muscle pain and inflammation
- Water therapy to decrease pain and muscle stiffness
- Gait and treadmill training to help improve stability, balance, and coordination
- Chest physiotherapy, including deep breathing, coughing, and manual pressure to help clear airway passages
- Education and training on how to perform exercises at home
- Electrical stimulation, including TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), therapeutic ultrasound, and hot and cold therapy
- Range-of-motion exercises to improve mobility in joints
At Dignity Health Southern California, our personal care philosophy extends to all facets of treatment, including physical therapy. Your therapist will design a program that fits your individual needs and preferences.
Dignity Health helps people of all ages experience healing and recovery with physical therapy in Southern California.