The benefits of weight loss are measured in more ways than just waist size. A healthy weight also improves overall health and quality of life. If your weight is keeping you from the life you were meant to have, weight loss surgery may be the answer. Dignity Health’s Surgical Weight Loss program provides comprehensive, individualized care from expert providers to help you on your weight loss journey.
Our program has performed thousands of successful operations with the most combined clinical experience in the field with one ultimate goal–excellent patient care. We will work with you to find the right treatment for the best outcomes. Our team includes board-certified surgeons, a registered dietitian, psychologist, certified physician assistant, certified bariatric nurses, and patient support facilitators.
Learn How Others Have Reclaimed Their Lives
Am I a Candidate?
Imagine playing with your kids, grandkids, or finally being able to fit into a pair of skinny jeans or a new, trendy outfit for a special occasion. Or maybe just want to feel confident wherever you are. Don’t let excess weight steal life’s pleasures from you.
To be a candidate for bariatric surgery, you must have the following characteristics established by the National Institutes of Health and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:
- Be more than 100 pounds over your ideal weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater, or a BMI of 35–39.9 along with one or more diseases (for example, diabetes and/or hypertension which can improve significantly with weight loss)
- Have not been able to lose weight from diet and exercise after a sustained period of time
- Be prepared to make a lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise, and behavioral changes necessary for long-term success
- Have no mental or behavioral disorders that may interfere with long-term weight loss goals
Calculate your body mass index now to see if you are a good candidate.
Care before, during, and after your surgery
Our doctors and staff will be with you every step of the way on your weight loss journey, from our introductory education session and physician consultation, to nutrition counseling, weight loss surgery and post-surgery support. We are here to help you develop the tools to begin your new life— a life of improved health, activity and longevity.
Find a Doctor
To find a Dignity Health Southern California doctor to help you take your first steps towards a healthier life, please use our online search tool to Find A Doctor.
Find our hospital nearest you
Los Angeles County
St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach