Imagine playing with your kids, grandkids, or finally being able to fit into a pair of skinny jeans or a new, trendy outfit for a special occasion. Or maybe just want to feel confident wherever you are. Don’t let excess weight steal life’s pleasures from you.
To be a candidate for bariatric surgery, you must have the following characteristics established by the National Institutes of Health and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:
- Be more than 100 pounds over your ideal weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater, or a BMI of 35–39.9 along with one or more diseases (for example, diabetes and/or hypertension which can improve significantly with weight loss)
- Have not been able to lose weight from diet and exercise after a sustained period of time
- Be prepared to make a lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise, and behavioral changes necessary for long-term success
- Have no mental or behavioral disorders that may interfere with long-term weight loss goals
Calculate your body mass index now to see if you are a good candidate.