We can't change the world by ourselves. Partnering with others who share our mission and values is necessary to bring about real and lasting improvements. Dignity Health's Community Grants Program is one way we are working collaboratively to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable and underserved populations in the communities we serve. The Community Health Improvement Grants program has awarded $91 million to nearly 3,800 health improvement projects since 1991.
About the Community Health Improvement Grants Initiative
Every Dignity Health hospital has conducted a community health assessment and has identified strategic priorities based on this assessment. The Community Health Improvement Grants program’s funding criteria help to ensure that its charitable resources address significant health needs in ways that demonstrate accountability for impact. Grant applicants should ensure that their proposed projects:
- Address one or more prioritized significant needs in the local hospital’s Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) and Implementation Strategy
- Behavioral & Mental Health / Suicide Substance Abuse
- Chronic Disease/ Diabetes / Cardiovascular Disease / Obesity/ Oral Health
- Access to Care/ Immunization
- Housing/ Homelessness
- Injury Prevention/Violence Prevention/ Human Trafficking
- Equity: Racial/Health/Social
- Nutrition/ Food Access/ Exercise
- Serve identified vulnerable or underserved populations, to help address health disparities
- Include three or more collaborating organizations (an “Accountable Care Community”) with distinct, complementary and substantive roles
- Work in some capacity with the local Dignity Health hospital
- Identify, evaluate and report on specific and measurable outcome goals
Dignity Health, East Valley Community Health Improvement Grants key information
- East Valley Community Health Improvement Grants Committee will give priority consideration to those applications with three (3) or more nonprofit collaborating partner organizations (a “Community of Care”).
- For the 2024 Dignity Health, East Valley Community Health Improvement Grant cycle, the East Valley Community Health Improvement Grants committee voted the current bye-period, of three (3) years, be reduced to one (1) year in regards to a Community of Care / Program or Project applying after being funded four (4) consecutive years.
- Applications will only be accepted through the designated AmpliFund portal for the $20,000-$100,000 range. (Applications will not be accepted after September 8, 2023).
- Wednesday, October 4, 2023 invited applicants present their project to the East Valley Community Health Improvement Grants Committee.
2024 Community Health Improvement Grants program information
Participating hospitals include those of Dignity Health, Catholic Health Initiatives, and Virginia Mason Franciscan Health. These hospitals are all part of CommonSpirit Health, which was created in 2019 when Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health came together to create a national health system.
The annual application period opens on July 17, 2023 and extends to September 8, 2023. You are invited to read eligibility criteria, find participating hospitals, and learn how to apply below. Please also download the program overview document.
Successful applicants will be announced in November 2023 for projects conducted between January and December 2024.
Applying for a Grant
All applications are submitted online via our grant portal, which will be open from July 17, 2023 – September 8, 2023. Prospective applicants are invited to download this file containing the application questions, and to view this applicant training video on using the grant portal.
The application link Application portal for grants between $20,000 and $100,000
For more details about the community grants program, online application and more please visit the CommonSpirit, Community Health Improvement Grants website.
Questions? For more information about Dignity Health, East Valley Community Health Improvement Grants, please contact Theresa Dettler, or call (480) 728-5717.