Dignity Health and OrthoArizona Orthopedics have come together to develop a comprehensive, community-based sports medicine program for high school athletes.
Our sports medicine and orthopedics services offers collegiate-equivalent athletic training and sports injury care management for athletes in the Chandler Unified School District (CUSD). Dignity Health Chandler Regional Hospital and Medical Center provides athletic training services and sports medicine covering 6 high schools and 7 junior high schools in the CUSD.
The athletic trainers are largely responsible for covering various athletic events at CUSD high schools including:
- Provide coverage for Athletic training room hours at the high school
- Assist with training and supervision of student interns
- Participate in sports medicine curriculum
- Daily communication with coaches and head athletic trainers regarding player status for practice and games
- Updates on student athletes currently under treatment and approvals for return to play with parents, nurses, coaches and head Athletic trainers
- Instruction for coaches
- Medical documentation
Our program will provide all aspects of sports medicine – shoulder, spine, elbow, hip, knee, arm/hand, foot and ankle as well as a focus on sport performance, nutrition, injury care, concussion management. Referrals will go to our orthopedic team of doctors for conditions such as, torn ligaments and tendons, broken bones, damaged cartilage, ACL injuries and Tommy John surgery.
Sports Medicine Program Benefits
Services will include:
- Home football game coverage by physician
- Athletic trainers staffed at each high school
- On-going education for Athletic trainers, coaches and staff
- Pre-participation physicals to student athletes
- Designing a sports medicine curriculum for your school
- Concussion management
- Yearly review of head and neck injury management
- Injury prevention lectures/assemblies for students, parents and coaches
Sports Medicine Team
The sports medicine program is led by board certified orthopedic surgeons who have experience and special training in sports related injuries.
Shelden Martin, MD
Doug Clouse, MD
Matt Hansen, MD
Ben Macqueen, MD
David G. Stewart, MD
Learn More About Sports Medicine at Chandler Regional Hospital and Medical Center
For more information about our orthopedics services, please call (480) 728-5414.