Sequoia Hospital is following CDC, state, and local guidelines as they relate to safe patient visitation.
All patients (except Emergency Department and COVID-19 positive patients, unless otherwise approved or who meet the exceptions below) may have two visitors (which includes clergy) 24 hours a day. One additional visitor may wait in the lobby waiting area, surgery or ICU waiting room (for those patients) assuming they can achieve appropriate physical distancing. The visitors may change throughout the day as long as only two visitors are visiting at a time. Some exceptions apply and are detailed below.
Visitors of all ages must comply with the below guidelines including wearing hospital issued face masks (when required) at all times regardless of vaccination status. If visitors do not comply with the visitation guidelines they risk their privileges being revoked.
Exceptions (Visiting hours may vary based on department)
- Nursery: Two identification “banded” support persons/visitors may visit at the same time.
- Birth Center: Two support persons/visitors may visit at the same time during labor, delivery and postpartum. The second visitor/support person on postpartum will be permitted to stay until 8:00 pm (one visitor may stay overnight). Siblings of the newborn may visit between the hours of 9:00am to 8:00pm.
- End of Life Care/Cognitive or Physical Impairment: More than two support persons/visitors may visit at the same time, if approved by Spiritual/Palliative Care, nursing leadership or hospital leadership.
- Outpatient/Testing/Surgery/Procedures/Cath Lab: One support person/visitor may accompany the patient and must remain in designated waiting area unless instructed by staff to wait in another area. They cannot wait in the patient's room/space.
- Emergency Department (ED): Emergency Department (ED) patients may have one support person/visitor. Support persons may not change during the course of the ED visit unless approved by the charge nurse. Support persons must remain with the patient unless otherwise directed and are not allowed into other public places except the restroom and must comply with all PPE requirements. For end of life or critically ill ED patients the charge nurse may determine the number of visitors/support persons based on the patients need.
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU): Patients may have two visitors/support persons in the room. Patients may visit 24 hours per day except between 6:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m..
- COVID-19 positive patients: May have one visitor who must comply with current PPE guidelines (gown, gloves, and N95 mask).
The Following Requirements Apply
- Must comply with personal protective equipment (PPE) guidelines and remain masked at all times.
- Visitors/Outpatients/Support Persons may use the hospital cafe but not the staff only pantries.
Virtual Visitation: All patients may request virtual visitation via the patient’s or family’s personal devices or through hospital-provided technology. Families may also contact patients through the hospital by calling (650) 369-5811.