Total Joint Replacement Class
Total Joint Replacement Class
At Memorial Hospital, we realize joint replacement, like any procedure, comes with questions. That’s where our Total Joint Replacement Class comes in. Our orthopedic experts will prepare you mentally and physically for the procedure. We will also ensure your caretakers know what to expect and the best ways to support you before and after your surgery. The class is designed to help relieve any anxiety you or your loved ones might have about the procedure.
Topics typically covered during the joint replacement education class include:
- How to prepare for surgery: The class will cover common questions such as whether or not to take medications on the day of surgery. The joint replacement care team will discuss what to do when you arrive at the hospital on the day of your surgery, as well as ways to make your home safer for your return after the procedure.
- What will happen after surgery: The class will inform you about how soon you will be able to walk following the procedure (usually the same day) and familiarize you with Memorial Hospital, including the unit your room will be located on following the surgery.
- What recovery will be like: The class will cover topics such as pain management, how to care for the incision site, and the need for physical and occupational therapy.
Benefits of Attending a Joint Replacement Class
Patients find attending the Total Joint Replacement Class at Memorial Hospital valuable because:
- We take the time to listen and provide feedback.
- You will become familiar with your care team.
- We empower you with knowledge to have a positive experience and recovery.
Total Joint Replacement Education Class for Patients:
Every Thursday morning (excluding holidays)
Founders Hall at Memorial Hospital
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Designated parking available for Total Joint Replacement patients across from Founders Hall building
What to Expect from Your Total Joint Replacement Class at Memorial Hospital
Memorial Hospital’s joint replacement education class is held every Thursday. Patients and caregivers will have the opportunity to meet representatives from our comprehensive care team, including: Pre-admission representative, Docent Liaisons, surgical suite nurse manager, and physical, occupational, and speech therapy director, as well as a nurse care team member from Memorial Hospital’s orthopedic care unit (5 East). Our knowledgeable team will cover topics related to preoperative preparation, what happens during the procedure, and what to expect regarding recovery requirements, healing time, and follow-up care.
Here’s what our patients are saying about Memorial Hospital’s Total Joint Replacement Class:
- “Very helpful, warm, friendly. Extremely thorough and clear instructions for before, during, and after treatment. Well organized and informational.”
- “Very informative—great idea for patient and caregiver.”
- “Very good and well organized. It answered a lot of questions.”
- “Everyone was very kind, knowledgeable, and helpful.”