With robot-assisted surgery, you can look forward to feeling better and getting back on your feet sooner. Robotic surgery, a type of minimally invasive surgery, is more precise and results in a shorter recovery period. The robotic team at Dignity Health Memorial Hospital performs this surgery to treat many conditions. Talk to your doctor to find out if you are a candidate.
Robotic Surgery At Memorial Hospital
Robotic surgery does not mean a robot is performing your surgery. Your surgeon is in control the entire time. Robotic surgery is a technology that allows your surgeon to perform procedures with unprecedented accuracy, providing you a shorter recovery.
The surgeons at Memorial Hospital use the da Vinci® Surgical System, the highest quality robotic system available.
During robotic surgery, your surgeon will:
- Make several small incisions.
- Insert the miniature robotic instruments into the incisions.
- Perform the surgery by manipulating the instruments from a console. The instruments have a greater level of precision and range of motion, allowing your surgeon to access even hard-to-reach places.
- Visualize the surgery site on the high-resolution monitor at the console. The monitor offers a better, more detailed view of the operating area than your surgeon would have if he or she were standing over you.
- Remove the instruments and close the incisions.
Robotic Surgery Procedures
Robotic surgeons and surgical teams undergo extensive training in order to use the da Vinci® system. We use a robotic approach for complex, precise surgeries including:
- General Surgery
- Gynecology Hysterectomy: Surgery to remove your uterus. Treatment for endometriosis.
- Myomectomy: Surgery to remove uterine fibroids.
- Partial Nephrectomy: Surgery for a kidney condition such as blockage of the ureters or kidney cancer.
- Pyeloplasty: Surgery to remove a blockage in the urinary system.
- Urology Prostatectomy: Surgery to remove all or part of your prostate.
Benefits Of Robotic Surgery
da Vinci® assisted surgery offers you and your surgeon many benefits, including:
- More precise surgery, with less manipulation of healthy tissue
- Less chance of blood loss or infection
- Less pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Shorter recovery
However, keep in mind that robotic surgery is just one way we can perform your procedure. We may decide that you will have a better outcome if we perform a laparoscopic or traditional "open" procedure. Our surgeons have experience in all types of surgery. No matter which approach we take, we have your health and safety in mind.
Learn More About Robotic Surgery At Memorial Hospital
To find a Dignity Health Bakersfield doctor or surgeon, please call (661) 324-7070 or use our Find a Doctor search tool.