The medical name for chest pain occurring when your heart does not receive enough oxygen-rich blood is angina. The disorder is usually caused by an underlying heart condition, such as coronary artery disease. Treatment for angina focuses on addressing the underlying cause and relieving chest pain.
Looking for a cardiologist that can provide personalized angina treatment in Central California? Discuss your options with a Dignity Health Central California doctor. Use our Find a Doctor tool to choose a well-qualified cardiovascular specialist near you.
How we treat angina at Dignity Health Central California
Available treatments for angina symptoms include medications, medical procedures, and lifestyle changes. Your doctor may recommend one or more of the following:
- Medical procedures to open blocked coronary arteries
- Medications, like nitroglycerin, that relax your blood vessels and allow better blood flow to the heart
- Prescription medicines to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or high cholesterol
- Medical supervision of your diet and exercise (cardiac rehabilitation)
- Quitting smoking
- Lifestyle changes recommended by your cardiologist, such as adopting a heart-healthy diet and regular exercise
A combination of treatments may be needed to achieve best results.
Thinking through your treatment options
Lifestyle changes are a first-line treatment for angina. In some cases, a few adjustments to your diet and exercise regimen may be all that is needed to relieve your symptoms. Your doctor will discuss the specific changes that can make the most difference for you.
However, if your angina is severe or moderate and you experience chest pain regularly, other options will need to be considered. Your Dignity Health Central California doctor will recommend a treatment plan based on your overall health, the regularity and severity of your angina episodes, and the severity of your underlying heart condition.
What you can do to prevent angina
The best way to prevent episodes of angina is to successfully treat the underlying condition that causes them. You can also adopt a healthier lifestyle. Consider the following recommendations to minimize your risk of angina:
- Treat known heart conditions, such as hypertension and high cholesterol.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid triggers known to cause angina, such as overeating at meals.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Learn and use constructive ways to cope with stress.
- If you have type 2 diabetes, make sure to tightly control your blood sugar level.
Looking for an easier way to manage your medical care? Sign up for the Dignity Health patient portal to manage your appointments, securely message your health care team, and send your health information to other providers.
Dignity Health Central California delivers high-quality care, including expert angina treatment, in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.