Treating Heavy Bleeding in Central California
A serious wound from an internal or external injury can result in heavy bleeding. Serious bleeding often means that an artery, large vein, or blood vessel has been damaged. Without prompt treatment, heavy bleeding can lead to a serious loss of blood and infection.
You should call 911 for any type of heavy bleeding, or visit the nearest hospital emergency department. If you need to visit the ER for heavy bleeding in Central California, you can find care at these Dignity Health locations:
- Mark Twain Medical Center
- Memorial Hospital
- Mercy Hospital Downtown
- Mercy Hospital Southwest
- Mercy Medical Center Merced
- St. Joseph’s Medical Center
Dignity Health Central California provides quality treatment for severe injuries and wounds that cause serious bleeding, as part of our emergency services.
Internal Bleeding Symptoms
External and internal injuries may have different symptoms. If an injury is external, bleeding is easy to recognize. Internal heavy bleeding is not always clear, but may cause these symptoms:
- Weakness or lightheadedness
- Loss of consciousness
- Painful or swollen abdomen
- Bleeding from a body opening, such as the ear, mouth, or anus
- Cold, clammy skin
- Vomiting or coughing up blood
If you or someone nearby is experiencing any of these symptoms, call 911 or seek emergency medical attention.
What Causes Heavy Bleeding?
The primary reason for severe bleeding is trauma, often caused by things like:
- Puncture wounds
- Bone fractures
- Deep cuts or tears
Treatment for Heavy Bleeding at Dignity Health Central California
If you are unable to get to an emergency room in the event of heavy bleeding, call 911 and follow these steps until help arrives:
- Do not remove object(s) embedded in the wound.
- Control bleeding with a sterile bandage or clean cloth.
- Apply firm pressure to the wound.
- Do not put pressure on an embedded object, the eyes, or a head wound if you suspect a skull fracture.
Dignity Health Central California is a leader in emergency care. Visit a location near you for exceptional care when time matters most.
Dignity Health Central California offers care for heavy bleeding, including tests to confirm symptoms of internal bleeding, in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.