A neck injury refers to any type of trauma or damage to the structures in and around the neck, including the:
- Blood vessels
- Spinal cord
- Spinal discs
Dignity Health Central California doctors work closely with our emergency and orthopedic departments to deliver world-class care for all types of injuries and chronic conditions. If you or someone you know has a neck injury in Central California, we can help.
If you need to go to the ER, use our InQuicker online tool to select your estimated hospital arrival time and wait at home until your time to be seen.
When to Go to the ER for a Neck Injury
You should call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room for a neck injury with these symptoms:
Common Neck Injury Symptoms
The symptoms of a neck injury may appear quickly or gradually, and may include:
- Tingling and numbness that spreads to shoulders and arms
- Bleeding or bruising
- Fatigue and weakness
- Sleep problems
- Difficulty concentrating
- Inability to move the neck in a full range of motion
- Headache or sore throat
- Pain, which may get worse with movement
Treatment for Neck Trauma at Dignity Health Central California ERs
Initial treatment for a neck injury may include rest and icing the affected area. If the injury is mild but causes discomfort, your doctor may recommend medicine for pain and inflammation, along with physical therapy. For more severe neck injuries, bracing or surgery may be required.
In the event of a severe neck injury, call 911 and follow these first aid steps:
- Do not remove a helmet.
- Apply direct pressure to a bleeding wound, but do not change the position of the neck.
- Do not move the person unless absolutely necessary.
- Do not attempt to remove an object lodged in the wound.
- Do not pick up a child or straighten their neck — help them stay still until help arrives.
- Monitor breathing and pulse.
- Start cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if necessary and continue until help arrives.
For information about how to prevent a head injury, Find a Doctor online at Dignity Health Central California.
Dignity Health Central California provides reliable emergency services to treat a neck injury in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.