Focusing on patient quality of life
We are here when you need us. Our staff and doctors offer care and comfort through the last steps of life’s journey. When families are faced with a life-limiting illness, Mercy Medical Center Redding continues its mission of compassionate care and comfort by providing services to assist families by allowing patients to stay in their residence. For more information on hospice or bereavement classes please call 530.245.4070.
What is Hospice?
Hospice care focuses on the patient and highlights the quality rather than the length of life. It affirms life and does not hasten nor postpone death. Hospice nurses help their patients to continue an alert, pain-free life and to manage other symptoms so that their last days may be spent with dignity and quality, surrounded by their loved ones.
What Does Mercy Hospice Provide?
- Skilled nursing care
- Medications for pain and other symptoms
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Instruction for family members in the care of the patient
- Emotional and spiritual support for the patient and family members
- Help in planning for legal, financial, and other practical needs
- Home health aide services
- Caregiver relief by trained volunteers
- Short-term inpatient care, including respite care
- Bereavement support
- Community education and consultation
When Should You Ask For Hospice Help?
Patients can qualify for hospice when they no longer seek curative treatment and life expectancy is estimated to be six months or less. Depending on the disease process and other variables, the patient, their family, and the doctor often decide together when hospice services should begin. There are times when patients may graduate from hospice care. Examples include: when their condition improves, the disease goes into remission, or the patient chooses to return to active treatment. Hospice care can always be resumed at a later time.
- Patient has an expected limited life-span
- Patient, family and patient’s doctor must agree to the referral to hospice and share a common understanding and expectation of hospice care
- Patient will be safely cared for with the availability of adequate full-time caregiver support as needed
- Patient must live within the Hospice service area. Please contact Hospice with questions.
Hours & Location
We are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with two locations to serve you.
Mercy Hospice, 1544 Market Street (Downtown Mall), Redding, CA 96001
St. Elizabeth Hospice, 1425 Vista Way, Red Bluff, CA 96080
For urgent needs after hours or on the weekends and holidays, please call the hospice office and the answering service will connect you with the hospice nurse on call.