Mercy Medical Center’s pulmonary rehabilitation program helps improve the quality of life for people with chronic conditions such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma, and pulmonary fibrosis. Our program is also tailored toward patients who require conditioning for surgery, pre- and post-lung transplant and anyone recovering from an acute episode.
Enrollment in the program is open to adults who are referred by their doctor. Participants will remain under the care of their referring doctor throughout pulmonary rehabilitation, as the goal of the program is to complement care provided by your doctor, not replace it. Pulmonary rehabilitation is covered by most health plans and Medicare.
Through our services, patients:
- Learn to live with chronic disease, such as COPD, asthma and pulmonary fibrosis
- Become more active in their healthcare
- Are instructed in breathing retraining to help alleviate shortness of breath
- Increase endurance and strength through exercise
- Decrease anxiety through relaxation training and panic control
- Learn when to call the doctor
Participants will receive instruction in the following:
- Basic anatomy
- What obstructive and restrictive lung diseases are
- Use of controlled breathing techniques
- Medications-what they do, how to properly administer and side effects
- Home respiratory equipment and management
- Coping with chronic disease
- Bronchial hygiene techniques
- Community resources
- Conservation of energy for daily living activities
- Relaxation techniques
- Indoor and outdoor air pollution
- Planning for successful travel
Individualized Exercise Program
Each program participant receives an initial evaluation by our respiratory therapist. All exercise is closely monitored. At the end of the program, many participants are able to increase their exercise tolerance and are encouraged to continue an exercise program at home.
Each session runs for eight weeks. Classes are scheduled Tuesdays and Thursdays and last approximately 2.5 hours. Participating patients will have a choice of a 9 a.m. or 1 p.m. class time.
Mercy Medical Center Redding
2175 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001
Take the Next Step
For more information, please call (530) 225-6096.