Preparing for Your Ultrasound Exam
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing. You may need to remove all clothing and jewelry in the area to be examined.
- You may be asked to wear a gown during the procedure.
- Preparation for the procedure will depend on the type of examination you will have. For some scans you may be instructed to not eat or drink for as many as 12 hours before your appointment. For others you may be asked to drink up to six glasses of water two hours prior to your exam and avoid urinating so that your bladder is full when the scan begins.
- Most ultrasound exams are painless, fast and easily tolerated.
- If a Doppler ultrasound study is performed, you may actually hear pulse-like sounds that change in pitch as the blood flow is monitored and measured.
- Most ultrasound examinations are completed within 30 minutes, although more extensive exams may take up to an hour.
- When the examination is complete, you may be asked to dress and wait while the ultrasound images are reviewed.
- After an ultrasound examination, you should be able to resume your normal activities immediately.
We are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please call 530.529.XRAY (9729) to make an appointment.
Question about Your Exam?
If you have a question about your exam, please call our department at 530.529.XRAY (9729)