Congestive heart failure is a cardiovascular condition characterized by the slow decline in the heart’s ability to pump blood. Heart failure doesn’t mean your heart has stopped working, but rather, it’s no longer pumping blood properly. This condition occurs gradually and may cause shortness of breath and fatigue.
If you’d like to meet with a cardiologist about our expert, personal care for congestive heart failure in Northern California, Find a Doctor online or visit a Dignity Health North State location.
Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms
Symptoms of congestive heart failure depend on the stage of the problem. The most common signs of congestive heart failure include:
- Chest pain or congestion
- Shortness of breath (comes after physical activity then goes away with rest)
- Weight gain
- Swelling in your feet or legs
Talk with a doctor at Dignity Health North State if you have one or more of these symptoms. Our cardiologists can provide a diagnosis and personalized treatment.
Congestive Heart Failure Causes
Congestive heart failure can occur for several reasons, including untreated heart disease or a heart attack. When your heart is overworked or damaged in some way, it becomes weak and loses the ability to efficiently pump blood.
Common causes of congestive heart failure are:
Congestive Heart Failure Treatment at Dignity Health North State
Treatment and prevention strategies focus on stopping congestive heart failure from getting worse, as well as reducing risk factors for the condition. Dignity Health North State heart doctors may recommend these treatments for congestive heart failure:
- Lifestyle changes, including a heart-healthy diet and restricted fluid intake
- Medications to help your heart pump easier
- Physical therapy specifically for congestive heart failure
- Oxygen therapy at home to help with breathing problems
- Surgery, such as repairing valve disorders or implanting an assistive device to help your heart pump better
- Heart transplant
If your doctor recommends cardiac rehabilitation, Mercy Medical Center in Redding, CA, offers a state-of-the-art cardiac rehab center and program.
Talk with your doctor about ways to prevent congestive heart failure. These may include:
- Maintaining a healthy diet with more unprocessed foods
- Treating any underlying conditions, such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol
- Stopping smoking
- Not taking illicit drugs
- Limiting salt intake
Dignity Health North State is dedicated to your overall health and well-being. Contact us today to learn more about your treatment options.
For expertise in the prevention and treatment of congestive heart failure in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA, visit Dignity Health North State.