Most of the time, an insect or animal bite only causes minor injuries and pain. In some cases, the bite can cause severe injury. If you have an allergy to insect bites or are bitten by a certain type of animal, you may be at a higher risk for severe complications.
Emergency rooms at Dignity Health North State can care for your animal or insect bite in Northern California. If you don’t have life-threatening injuries, you can wait in the comfort of your home until you’re ready for treatment. Use our online waiting tool InQuicker and select an estimated arrival time.
Common Types of Animal Bites
Trained emergency staff at Dignity Health North State is prepared to treat:
- Spider bites
- Snake bites
- Scorpion stings
- Bee and wasp stings
When to Seek Emergency Care for Bites and Stings
Some animals may carry harmful diseases and venom that can cause serious life-threatening injuries.
Always visit the emergency department for the following circumstances of an animal or insect bite:
- The bite is a deep puncture, including torn skin or heavy bleeding
- The animal bite is on your face, head, neck, hand, foot or joint.
- The bite came from a wild animal, an animal unknown to you, or an animal acting strangely
- A bite from a pet that’s not up-to-date on immunizations
- There are signs of infection, including redness, swelling, or anaphylaxis
- You’re not up-to-date on tetanus shots
Symptoms of a Serious Animal Bite
Symptoms of an animal bite or sting can range from mild itching to a deep wound. If the bite punctures your skin, you have a greater risk of the wound becoming infected.
Seek emergency medical care or call 911 if the following symptoms appear after an animal bite:
- Tingling, tightness or swelling of your eyes, face, throat, tongue or lips
- Dizziness or fainting
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Wheezing or shortness of breath
- Hives, itching, and flushed or very pale skin
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- A weak, rapid pulse
In most cases, you can care for an animal bite with standard home remedies. When you need wound care or advanced treatment for an animal bite, trust the trained ER doctors at Dignity Health North State for expert care.
Emergency services at Dignity Health North State offer quality evaluation and treatment of bites and stings in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.