Identifying Dementia Symptoms in Northern California
Dementia is a general term used to refer to a group of conditions that affect brain function. Lewy body dementia (also called Parkinson’s disease dementia or dementia with Lewy bodies), vascular dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease are the most prevalent types of dementia.
Dignity Health North State knows how frustrating dementia can be. We can help treat symptoms of dementia in Northern California. If you would like to meet with one of our expert neurologists to discuss treating yourself or a loved one, Find a Doctor near you.
Common Signs of Dementia
Some types of dementia develop slowly over time, while others may come on suddenly.
Depending on the type of dementia, signs and symptoms will vary. Symptoms tend to worsen as the disease progresses. Generally, signs and symptoms include:
- Progressive memory loss
- Inability to find the right words in speech or writing
- Sleep disturbances
- Loss of ability to perform daily activities, such as bathing and dressing
- Inability to concentrate or focus
- Loss of impulse control, especially in public
- Personality changes, including frequent episodes of crying and angry outbursts
- Loss of ability to solve simple problems
- Inability to complete tasks that require multiple steps, such as cooking or paying bills
- Repeating a behavior or word over and over
Diagnosing Dementia at Dignity Health North State
Your doctor at Dignity Health North State will assess your attention span, ability to solve simple problems, and memory. You may undergo a comprehensive neuropsychology exam, as well as a physical exam and medical history. The process of diagnosing dementia can take time as doctors wait for the disease to progress.
In order to rule out other causes of your symptoms, your neurologist may order certain imaging and lab tests. In some cases, these tests can also help identify the type of dementia.
Tests may include:
- Blood tests
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of head
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
You can rely on Dignity Health North State to provide compassionate care with humankindness to all our patients living with dementia.
See a doctor at a Dignity Health North State hospital to diagnose dementia symptoms in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.