Dementia symptoms, such as cognitive impairment, are caused by several disorders and conditions, including Lewy body dementia, vascular dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease. All forms of dementia are incurable and progress over time.
Treatment plans are based on the type of dementia and the severity of the disease. At Dignity Health North State, personalized treatment plans are focused on supportive therapy, medications to lessen symptoms, and support for caregivers. To learn more about treatment for dementia in Northern California, you can Find a Doctor with our online tool.
Supportive Therapies for Dementia
Some people with dementia, and their families, benefit from:
- Individual or group psychotherapy (talk therapy)
- Support groups
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
Doctors use medication to temporarily slow memory loss. Medication may also be helpful in treating related conditions, including anxiety, depression, and behavioral issues.
Common medications doctors prescribe to dementia patients include:
- Antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and antipsychotic medications to help manage behavior and mental health issues
- Cholinesterase inhibitors help slow cognitive decline and memory loss
- Insomnia medications to help with sleep problems
- Memantine to stabilize language, reasoning, and memory
- Levodopa help control tremor or other movement problems
Caregiving Support for Dementia
Many families rely on a team of professionals to help provide the necessary support for their family member with dementia. Caregiving assistance may be provided by a:
- Social worker
- Private duty home care provider
- Home health nurse or aide
- Case manager
- Inpatient dementia care facility
- Assisted living facility
Considering Your Treatment Options at Dignity Health
Dementia treatments depend on the severity of the disease. Some patients with early-stage dementia are able to live independently for years before they require assistance. Discuss the risks, benefits, and goals of your treatment options with your doctor.
You can trust Dignity Health to treat your loved one living with dementia with respect and compassion. Talk to one of our doctors today.
The expert neurology team at Dignity Health North State hospitals provide a range of treatment options for dementia in Redding, CA.