Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a movement disorder of the nervous system. In MS, the protective coating (myelin sheath) of nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord is attacked by the immune system. Damage to the myelin sheath is irreversible and causes the nerves to stop working properly.
At Dignity Health North State, our neurologists create personalized treatment plans focused on restoring physical function, slowing progression of the disease, and supporting your mental well-being. To talk to one of our specialists about your options for MS treatment in Northern California, Find a Doctor using our online tool.
MS Treatments Offered at Dignity Health North State
The integrated health care team at Dignity Health North State offers comprehensive MS care. Treatment is personalized to your specific needs and may include:
- Medications, including infused, injected, or oral drugs that reduce inflammation related to MS and provide long-term symptom relief
- Assistive devices, including wheelchairs, walkers, and canes
- Orthotics or braces to manage conditions like foot drop
- Speech therapy for issues with speaking
- Cognitive therapy to improve reasoning and problem solving
- Vocational therapy, including job modification or re-training for those with disabilities related to MS
- Physical therapy to maintain muscle tone, function, and control
- Occupational therapy to improve your ability to perform everyday activities
- Social support services to promote a higher quality of life and independence
Considering Your Treatment Options
Because each person experiences MS differently, your MS care team at Dignity Health North State will personalize your or your loved ones treatment plan to your specific needs. The goal of treatment is to address your symptoms as they develop.
Before beginning medications, ask your doctor about the potential risks, side effects, and goals of each medication. You can avoid MS attacks and flare-ups (sudden worsening of symptoms) by adhering to the treatment plan set by your doctor.
The specialized care offered by Dignity Health North State can help your achieve the highest possible quality of life with MS.
Dignity Health North State hospitals offer advanced multiple sclerosis treatment in Red Bluff and Redding, CA.