Dedicated Stroke Treatment in Southern California
Stroke is a medical emergency. It requires immediate treatment to prevent loss of brain function. Treatment depends on whether a stroke is caused by bleeding in the brain or a blood clot that blocks the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the brain.
Dignity Health Southern California is committed to providing world-class stroke treatment in Southern California. For expert care, visit one of our state-of-the-art locations:
- Glendale Memorial Hospital and Health Center
- Northridge Hospital Medical Center
- St. Bernardine Medical Center
- St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach
Types of Treatment for Stroke
The goal of treatment for a stroke is to preserve brain and physical function. At Dignity Health Southern California, our doctors may recommend medications, rehabilitation, lifestyle changes, and surgery to treat stroke.
The care you receive depends on the type of stroke you have. Treatments for ischemic stroke (a blood clot) include clot-busting medication (thrombolytic therapy) and/or a minimally invasive procedure to remove the clot. Treatments for hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain) may be minimally invasive surgery or open surgery to stop the bleeding.
Your Stroke Treatment at Dignity Health Southern California
Before administering any type of treatment, your doctor will go over the details, including benefits and risks, of medication or surgical procedures that may be needed to treat your stroke. The goal of care is to preserve as much brain tissue as possible. Talk with your doctor about your wishes or beliefs regarding medical interventions. This will ensure your care meets your personal preferences.
You can lower your risk of stroke by following these heart-healthy steps:
- Treat any underlying medical conditions such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
- Control your blood sugar levels if you have diabetes.
- Wear a seat belt, bike helmet, and other protective equipment to reduce your risk of a traumatic head injury.
- Quit smoking.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet to maintain a healthy cholesterol level.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
By taking care of your heart, you can keep your blood vessels working properly. This allows your brain to receive vital oxygen-rich blood and can reduce your risk of stroke.Dignity Health provides advanced stroke treatment in Southern California, as part of our neurology services.