The hallmark of congestive heart failure (CHF) is shortness of breath. Treatment focuses on:
- Reducing the effects of your symptoms
- Improving your quality of life
- Slowing the progression of the disease
To best manage congestive heart failure, you need a doctor you can talk to and trust. At Dignity Health Southern California, our doctors and staff know how to listen. We provide comprehensive, coordinated, and caring heart failure treatment in Southern California at several convenient locations in Long Beach, Northridge, Downtown LA, Glendale, and in Inland Empire cities San Bernardino, Fontana, and Highland. Use our online Find a Doctor tool to make an appointment today.
Congestive Heart Failure Prevention
A heart-healthy lifestyle can help you reduce your risk of developing heart failure:
- Treat known heart conditions such as high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking illicit drugs, which can damage your heart muscle
- Avoid excessive alcohol use
- Exercise regularly
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low in sodium
- Maintain a healthy weight — obesity puts a strain on the ability of your heart to pump effectively
Some cases of congestive heart failure may not be preventable. An example would be if your heart failure is caused by heart valve disease due to the normal aging processes.
Congestive Heart Failure Treatment at Dignity Health Southern California
If you have congestive heart failure, lifestyle changes are critical. You will need to follow a low-sodium diet and control how much fluid you drink. Your doctor may provide you with a maximum number of fluid ounces to drink each day.
Your doctor may also suggest treatments that reduce your heart’s workload and help relieve heart failure symptoms. These treatments may include:
- Home oxygen therapy
- Inhaled medications to help you breathe better
- Medications to help reduce your heart’s workload
- Medications or surgery for underlying causes such as coronary artery disease, hypertension, or diabetes
Your treatment plan may include a combination of approaches, such as lifestyle changes and medication.
Considering Your Congestive Heart Failure Treatment Options
Your doctor will talk with you about your personal preferences and concerns before making treatment recommendations. The severity of your condition, your age, and your overall health will also be taken into consideration.
Find a trusted partner in managing your heart health at Dignity Health Southern California today.
Dignity Health doctors and staff partner with patients to provide expert heart failure treatment in Southern California.