(844) 274-8497



Find Immediate Care for Electrical Shock in Arizona


Receiving an electrical shock can be as mild as touching a light bulb socket or outlet to getting hit by lightening or getting electrocuted by a high voltage power line. Being shocked by electricity can cause burns, damage to internal organs, and — in more severe cases — cardiac arrest, and even death.

Dignity Health can diagnose and treat all forms of electrical shock in Arizona. If you or a loved one have experienced an electric shock, get prompt medical evaluation. Call 9-1-1 in severe cases.

If you need to go to the ER, use Dignity Health’s InQuicker™ online tool to select your estimated hospital arrival time and wait at home until your time to be seen. Upon arrival and check-in, you will see a doctor who will assess your situation and determine the next appropriate level of care.

 

Electrical Shock Symptoms

The most common symptom of electrical shock is a burn to the skin, ranging from mild to severe. The severity depends on the strength of the voltage and how long you were in contact with the electrical current. While milder shocks often result in external injury, high voltage shocks can cause very serious damage inside your body.

Additional symptoms of electrical shock include:

With an electric shock, you should get medical care right away, even if the injury is a minor burn. A doctor at Dignity Health can evaluate the problem and determine if you have any serious internal injuries.

 

Electrical Shock Causes

The most common causes of electrical shock include:

  • Touching exposed wiring
  • Touching or inserting something into an outlet
  • Contact with faulty wiring or appliances
  • Arching from high-voltage power lines — electricity from high voltage wires can jump to a conduit (a person) several feet away
  • Lightning

 

Electrical Shock Treatment at Dignity Health

The type of treatment given for an electrical shock depends on the extent of the injury.

Follow these steps in the event of an electric shock:

  • Unplug the source of electricity if the person is still in contact with it or turn off the circuit breaker supplying the source.
  • Do not touch the person while they are in contact with the electrical source.
  • If you are unable to turn off the current, use rubber or wood to push the person away from the source.
  • Call 9-1-1 right away and start first aid for shock or CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) if necessary.
  • If the injured person is near high-voltage power lines, call 9-1-1 and stay at least 20 feet away.
Emergency care doctors at Dignity Health provide can effective treatment for a wide range of electrical shocks in Arizona.