Cerebral palsy is a brain disorder that causes issues with muscle movement, vision, hearing, and pain or abnormal sensations. It can also result in learning disabilities and problems with speech. There are a range of treatment options for cerebral palsy symptoms, but there is no cure.
Treatment for Cerebral Palsy at Dignity Health
At Dignity Health, cerebral palsy treatment focuses on relieving symptoms and helping children and their families find comfort and support. Our cerebral palsy specialists use a team approach, making the most of the diverse skills of neurologists, neurosurgeons, nurse practitioners, and more. But most of all, we are committed to providing the most personalized and compassionate care available.
Find a Doctor at Dignity Health by calling (855) 231-6180 or using our online tool. We offer cerebral palsy treatment in Arizona at:
Common treatments for cerebral palsy include:
- Physical and occupational therapy to improve motor coordination, flexibility, and muscle tone
- Speech therapy to improve oral motor skills, reduction of drooling, swallowing, and improved speech
- Assistive devices such as eyeglasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, and braces
- Surgery to correct skeletal abnormalities or release tight muscles
- Medications to treat muscle spasms, pain, and related symptoms, including seizures
- Social services, including access to programs for children with learning disabilities
- Ongoing medical monitoring to treat complications and related conditions
Considering Your Options for Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Every child experiences cerebral palsy differently. That’s why Dignity Health personalizes treatment to your child’s unique situation. Early diagnosis is extremely important because it can help children with cerebral palsy overcome learning disabilities and developmental delays. Ongoing monitoring can identify and trigger treatment for related conditions, such as seizures or incontinence.
Certain treatments for cerebral palsy, such as medication and surgery, involve some level of risk. Your doctor will tell you the benefits and risks of each treatment option. In some cases, you may be able to minimize the risks.
Talk with a Dignity Health social worker to learn about the support systems available for families with children who have cerebral palsy. Getting support in a caring environment is an important part of your child’s cerebral palsy therapy.
Dignity Health provides a range of treatment options for cerebral palsy in Arizona.