Maternal fetal medicine is the branch of medicine that cares for women with high-risk pregnancies. Maternal fetal medicine doctors treat both pregnant women and unborn babies.
Our maternal fetal medicine specialists (a)lso known as perinatologists focus specifically on women’s health and prenatal care/fetal health during a complicated or high-risk pregnancy. We can work with mothers as the primary caregiver, or in partnership with a woman’s obstetrician (OB).
At Dignity Health, we provide a comprehensive and caring environment for all expectant mothers. If you would like to learn more about high-risk pregnancy and maternal fetal medicine in Arizona, Find a Doctor online or call (877) 254-2714.
Working with Maternal Fetal Medicine
A maternal fetal medicine doctor is an OB/GYN who has received special training in the care and management of high-risk pregnancies. Maternal fetal medicine specialists take care of pregnant women who have underlying health conditions (s)uch as diabetes or kidney disease, women who develop complications during pregnancy (s)uch as preeclampsia or gestational diabetes and babies who have been diagnosed with a health condition or birth defect while still in the womb.
Your health care provider may refer you to a maternal fetal medicine specialist if:
- You are pregnant with more than one baby
- You have a history of pregnancy losses or preterm birth
- Prenatal testing indicates your baby might have a health problem
- You have a chronic medical condition
Maternal fetal medicine specialists work closely with OB/GYNs and nurse midwives. They share information to ensure that you and your baby get the best possible care.
What to Expect from Maternal Fetal Medicine in Arizona
A maternal fetal medicine specialist at Dignity Health will ask you questions about your health and pregnancy, and review the results of any tests done so far in your pregnancy. Maternal fetal medicine specialists may also:
- Order or conduct prenatal testing, including level 2 ultrasounds, amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling
- Adjust prescription medication and manage underlying health conditions
- Attend births and help deliver high-risk pregnancies
- Perform or assist in surgeries to treat life-threatening birth defects while babies are still in the womb
- Provide postpartum medical care for mothers and their new babies
Your care will depend on your needs and medical condition. You can expect the maternal fetal medicine specialist to answer your questions and explain all tests and procedures suggested for you. Your maternal fetal medicine specialist may also be able to connect you with other women and families dealing with similar challenges.
You can trust every part of your high-risk pregnancy to the expert care team at Dignity Health.
Dignity Health provides many services for maternal fetal medicine in Arizona.