Dignity Health—St. John’s Regional Medical Center was established in 1912 by the Sisters of Mercy at the request of Reverend John S. Laubacher.
Community leaders had approached Rev. Laubacher one year earlier out of concern that health care services were not available to meet the needs of the thousands of residents who had settled on the Oxnard plains. The hospital opened as a six-room wooden structure on ten acres of land.
After only a few short years, St. John’s opened a 25-bed hospital in 1915. By 1952, the hospital had again outgrown its building, so a third hospital with 75 beds was opened to serve the post-war population. Finally, St. John’s opened in its current location in 1992 with 265 beds.
In 1993, St. John’s Regional Medical Center merged with St. John’s Hospital Camarillo (formerly St. John’s Pleasant Valley Hospital) in Camarillo. Together the two hospitals represent the largest acute-care health organization in Ventura County. To find a doctor affiliated with St. John’s hospitals, please call (877) 753-6248 or search online. Both services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To find a doctor affiliated with St. John’s hospitals, please call (877) 753-6248 or search online. Both services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.