Each year in the U.S., roughly 230,000 women will learn they have breast cancer. There are many types of breast cancer, some which also affect men.
Oncology specialists at Dignity Health North State are experienced in treating the most common types, including:
- Invasive ductal carcinoma, the most common type of breast cancer, which begins in the milk ducts but has invaded surrounding fatty breast tissue.
- Invasive lobular carcinoma, which starts in the milk-producing glands and invades other tissues. It accounts for about one in 10 breast cancers.
- Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), a highly treatable stage of breast cancer, that only affects the cells lining the milk ducts.
- Less common types, including inflammatory breast cancer, angiosarcoma, Paget disease of the nipple, and Phyllodes tumor.
From early-detection cancer screenings to cutting-edge treatment, we’re leading the way with comprehensive breast cancer care in Northern California. Find a Doctor at Dignity Health North State who specializes in care for the various types of breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Symptoms
It’s important to know the symptoms of breast cancer so you can talk to your doctor at Dignity Health North State at the first signs.
Common signs and symptoms of breast cancer include:
- Lump in the breast
- Swelling of part or all of the breast
- Skin changes on the nipple or breast
- Nipple discharge that’s not breast milk
- Inverted nipple
- Change in appearance, size, or shape of the breast or nipple
Our breast cancer screenings, including mammograms, can find tumors in the breasts before symptoms develop. Schedule an appointment with a Dignity Health North State doctor to learn which breast cancer screening is beneficial for you.
A number of characteristics can increase a man or woman’s chance for developing breast cancer.
Women are at a higher risk for the disease, but other factors that increase your risk include:
- Lifestyle habits, such as being sedentary, smoking, and consuming alcohol
- Dense breast tissue
- Early menstruation before 12 or late menopause after 55
- Family or personal history of breast cancer
- Previous chest radiation therapy
Your doctor at Dignity Health North State can talk to you about your risk for breast cancer, as well as ways to prevent breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Services at Dignity Health North State
We know that hearing a diagnosis of breast cancer can be frightening, so we offer the care, support, and treatment you need to survive this tough time.
At Dignity Health North State, cancer care includes:
- Support groups
- Spiritual counseling, regardless of faith
- Standard and advanced traditional treatment options
Trust compassionate oncology specialists at Dignity Health for integrative treatment that focuses on your entire well-being during the healing process.