Chest pain that results from your heart being deprived of freshly oxygenated blood is called angina. This disorder is usually caused by an underlying heart condition like coronary artery disease. Treatment and prevention strategies for angina focus on relieving chest pain and addressing your underlying heart disease.
Dignity Health North State offers advanced cardiac care, including angina treatment, in Northern California. Find a Doctor today to discuss your chest pain symptoms and receive care with humankindness.
Treating Your Angina at Dignity Health North State
Treatment strategies for angina include medications, medical procedures, and lifestyle changes. Your Dignity Health doctor may advise a personal treatment plan that includes a combination of all three.
Recommended treatments for angina include:
- Medications that relax your blood vessels and promote blood flow to the heart (nitroglycerine)
- Medications to treat high blood pressure or high cholesterol
- Procedures to open blocked coronary arteries
- Quitting smoking
- Adopting a heart-health diet
- Regular exercise, as directed by your cardiologist
- Cardiac rehabilitation program to provide medical supervision of your diet and exercise
Selecting Your Treatment Options
If your symptoms are mild and infrequent, your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes to manage your agina. However, you may be asked to consider other angina treatments if your angina is moderate to severe.
Your doctor’s recommendations will be guided by the severity of your heart disease, the frequency and severity of your angina episodes, and your overall health.
How to Prevent Angina
Angina is a symptom of underlying heart disease. You may be able to prevent angina attacks by adopting a more heart-healthy lifestyle, and managing the heart condition causing your angina.
Angina prevention strategies include:
- Quitting smoking
- Treating known heart conditions, such as hypertension or high cholesterol
- Avoiding known angina triggers, such as overeating
- Exercising regularly
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Managing your blood sugar if you have type 2 diabetes
- Learning how to cope with mental stress in constructive ways
Dignity Health North State doctors deliver high quality care for numerous cardiovascular concerns, including expert treatment for angina, in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.
Find a Doctor at Mercy Mount Shasta, Mercy Medical Center Redding, or St. Elizabeth Community Hospital.