Venous problems attack the veins in your legs, causing pain and swelling. Some venous problems can cause serious complications. For example, a blood clot in your leg (DVT) can break free, become lodged in a lung artery, and cause a pulmonary embolism.
The three most common venous conditions are:
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Varicose veins
Dignity Health North State doctors are skilled in treating many cardiovascular disorders, including venous problems. Find a Doctor today to learn about advanced venous problem treatment in Northern California.
Caring for Venous Problems at Dignity Health North State
Your treatment will depend on the type and severity of your condition, and can range from lifestyle changes to surgery.
If you’ve been diagnosed with DVT, you may require urgent treatment to prevent dangerous complications. Treatment of DVT includes medication (intravenous or oral) to dissolve the clot or surgically implanted mesh filter to “catch” blood clots before they can enter the heart
Common treatments for chronic venous insufficiency include:
- Avoiding long periods of standing or sitting
- Lifestyle changes, such as increased physical activity and weight loss
- Compression stockings to reduce swelling
- Minimally invasive procedures to seal or remove damaged veins
- Implantation of stents to hold major veins open and improve blood flow
Varicose vein treatments aim to improve their appearance, and include:
- Same lifestyle changes as recommended for chronic venous insufficiency
- Laser procedures
- Sclerotherapy, a minimally invasive procedure to seal veins, causing them to break down and disappear
- Phlebectomy, to remove varicose veins near the surface of the skin
Choosing Your Best Treatment Option
Your Dignity Health North State doctor will create a personalized care plan based on your overall health, the state of your condition, and your personal preferences. Discuss with your doctor the risks, benefits, and goals of the available treatments before making a decision. Be sure to ask what steps you can take to avoid complications.
How to Prevent Venous Problems
Some venous conditions can arise in people who are otherwise healthy and have no known risk factors. Regardless, you can take steps to lower your risk for venous problems and complications by:
- Not sitting or standing for long periods
- Quitting smoking, which damages blood vessels
- Eating a heart-healthy diet
- Regularly participating in physical activities
The medical experts at Dignity Health North State are committed to helping you achieve optimal health and well-being. Learn more about our cardiovascular treatments in Northern California.
Dignity Health North State offers advanced diagnostic procedures and therapies, including treatment for venous problems, in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.