Help for Bladder Issues in Northern California
Bladder problems can affect any woman, regardless of her age. Bladder issues can interfere with daily activities, cause sexual health complications, and affect your emotional well-being.
At Dignity Health North State, we can help you overcome bladder problems and live a life free of worry about these common bladder issues and more:
- Overactive bladder
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Interstitial cystitis (also known as bladder pain syndrome)
- Our gynecologists offer a range of treatment options for bladder problems in Northern California. Find a Doctor near you today for personal care.
Bladder Problems Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of bladder issues depend on the specific problem and may vary from woman to woman. Common signs and symptoms of bladder issues include:
- Painful urination
- Frequent or sudden urge to urinate
- Urinary leakage
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Cloudy urine
- Pressure or pain in the lower abdomen
- Frequent urination (more than two times at night or more than eight times during the day)
Causes of Bladder Issues
Women are more prone to bladder issues than men due to many unique factors, including:
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, the muscles that control the bladder and urethra can be stretched out of shape.
- Childbirth. Vaginal childbirth can stretch and weaken pelvic muscles that affect the urinary system. Certain medical procedures associated with birth may increase the risk of bladder issues as well.
- Hormonal changes. Bladder issues are more common after menopause.
- Being overweight. The risk of bladder problems, especially incontinence, is higher if you are overweight.
- Medical conditions. Certain conditions, such as diabetes, can increase the risk of urinary tract infections.
Bladder Issues Treatment & Prevention at Dignity Health North State
Your personalized treatment and prevention strategy will be guided by your specific issue, lifestyle habits, risk factors, and medical history. Your options at Dignity Health North State may include:
- Lifestyle modifications, including losing weight, eating a healthy diet, drinking cranberry juice and plenty of water, decreasing caffeinated beverages, and bladder training.
- Medication, including antibiotics to treat and prevent urinary tract infections and medications that decrease the urge to urinate and relax and muscles and nerves that affect the bladder.
- Medical devices, such as specially designed medical devices that deliver electric current to specific nerves and muscles of the urinary tract.
- Surgery may be used to correct bladder issues if other treatments have failed to provide sufficient relief.
Most bladder issues are treatable. Once your doctor at Dignity Health North State has diagnosed your bladder problem, you can begin treatment to help improve your symptoms and quality of life.
Dignity Health North State offers expert treatment for bladder issues in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.