During labor and delivery everyone needs support — mom, dad, the whole family. At Dignity Health North State, our maternity care specialists provide emotional support, medical monitoring, pain relief, and information about the birthing process and becoming a parent.
Labor and delivery care is provided by doctors, midwives, nurses, and other highly trained pregnancy experts. Each Dignity Health North State hospital offer a family birth center, so every member of the family feels welcome and supported.
Find a Doctor who specializes and labor and delivery in Northern California and can give your little one a great start.
Labor & Delivery Services at Dignity Health North State
Our labor and delivery services include:
- Fetal monitoring. Your health care team will monitor the baby’s well-being and heart rate during labor.
- Vaginal birth. This is how most women give birth.
- Episiotomy. This incision in the tissue between the vagina and anus (perineum) can help if an instrument such as forceps is needed during delivery. Episiotomy is no longer used routinely.
- Pain control and anesthesia. Pain relief can be medical or nonmedical, but is always an important part of labor. Options include epidurals, regional anesthesia, injectable medication, water therapy, and massage.
- Cesarean section (C-section). This surgical birth is used in case of emergency or may be planned in advance. A C-section is done in an operating room. You will most likely need to stay in the hospital for a few days afterward.
- Natural birth. If you want to give birth without pain medication, your doctor will respect your wishes. Ask your health care providers about coping techniques and nonmedical strategies that can provide pain relief.
- Water birth. Many women enjoy laboring in a tub of warm water to ease pain during labor. Dignity Health St. Elizabeth Community Hospital was the first hospital in California to offer water tub labor services from labor through delivery.
- Neonatal intensive care units (NICU). In these special environments, neonatologists provide extra monitoring and support after birth.
Giving Birth: What to Expect on the Big Day
No childbirth experience is ever the same. Talk to your doctor about your family’s specific social, emotional, and medical needs. Dignity Health North State offers a variety of childbirth classes to help you prepare for labor, delivery, and the adventure of parenthood.
Dignity Health North State provides personalized labor and delivery services in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.