Infection occurs when your body reacts to a bacteria, virus, or fungus. Infections that frequently affect women include urinary tract infection (UTI), yeast infection, and sexually transmitted infections or diseases (STIs/STDs), including herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, HPV, and HIV.
Dignity Health North State offers diagnosis and treatment for all types of women’s infections in Northern California. Find a Doctor near you at one of our locations today for discreet, personal care from an expert.
Symptoms of infection vary according to the type, severity, and location of the infection. The basic signs and symptoms of infection include:
- Inflammation (swelling)
What Causes Infections?
Bacteria, viruses, and fungi can all cause infections. These tiny disease-causing organisms (microbes) live all around us. Most of the time, our body’s immune system will resist microbes. Factors that can increase the risk of infection include the following:
- Decreased immunity can be caused by medical treatments, such as steroids and chemotherapy, or conditions, such as diabetes and HIV.
- Changes in hormone levels during pregnancy and perimenopause increase the risk of infection.
- Sexual activity can introduce germs into the reproductive or urinary tracts, especially in women.
- Introduction of foreign objects or materials, such as a catheter or diaphragm, may also introduce germs.
- Certain medications, including antibiotics, corticosteroids, and immunosuppressant drugs.
Treatment & Prevention of Infections at Dignity Health North State
Many infections can be prevented by good hygiene practices. For women, good hygiene includes:
- Wiping from front to back after using the toilet
- Wearing cotton underwear
- Changing out of wet undergarments and clothing as soon as possible
- Urinating after sex
- Avoiding douching
At Dignity Health North State, your doctor will devise a personalized treatment plan based on your medical history, the type and severity of your infection, your risk factors, and your lifestyle habits.
Most infections that affect women’s urinary and reproductive tracts are fungal or bacterial in nature. Our doctors usually treat these types of infections with antibiotics or antifungal medications. Some of these medications are applied directly to the genital region while others are taken by mouth.
Treating infections not only relieves pain and discomfort and improves overall health, but can also help you avoid complications like infertility. If you are dealing with an infection, get the care you need from a gynecologist at Dignity Health North State.
If you have an infection in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA, visit Dignity Health North State for expert care.