Dignity Health Heart and Vascular Institute of Greater Sacramento offers a comprehensive program to assist those who have congestive heart failure, which means that your heart is weak and not pumping as strongly as it should.
CHAMP® (Congestive Heart Active Management Program) involves you in your recovery. Through regular phone interaction and educational interactions, CHAMP® will help you and your family members better understand and manage your condition. Congestive heart failure often causes shortness of breath and reduced stamina and energy levels. We can help you to manage these and other symptoms and side effects.
Your CHAMP® team includes:
- Cardiovascular Specialists
- Primary care physicians
- Registered nurses
- Other health care professionals
In order to qualify for CHAMP®, you need your physician’s referral or approval.
After you leave the hospital CHAMP® team members call you at home to:
- Check how you are feeling
- Counsel you on diet and fluid limitations
- Check on your weight
- Provide heart failure medication adjustments/management
After the early weeks, the calls become less frequent as you learn more about managing your heart failure at home. CHAMP® team members also monitor your symptoms or complications. Your CHAMP® team works with your doctor, who continues to be in charge of your care, providing you with recommendations on diet changes, medicine modifications or help if you need an office visit.
Benefits of CHAMP® include:
- A vital link to your doctor and extended care team after you leave the hospital
- The knowledge and support necessary to help you maintain the highest quality of life possible
- CHAMP® can help reduce the risk of being readmitted to the hospital for heart failure.
We encourage you to take an active role in your heart care by calling the CHAMP® office at (916) 564-2880 for more information.