The most widely known sign of pregnancy is missed menstrual periods, but some women experience symptoms of pregnancy even before. A missed period can also signal something other than pregnancy.
The experienced doctors at Dignity Health Southern California hospitals are dedicated to your care from before you’re pregnant to postpartum care and beyond. Our doctors are experts at assessing pregnancy symptoms and signs of pregnancy in Long Beach, Northridge, Downtown LA, Glendale, and the Inland Empire, including urgent care in Fontana and Highland. Visit one of our locations or Find a Doctor online to learn more.
Pregnancy Signs & Symptoms
The most common symptoms and signs of pregnancy are:
- Missed period. Skipping your period may or may not mean you’re pregnant.
- Nausea. As many as 25 percent of women say nausea, with or without vomiting, was their first pregnancy symptom.
- Headaches. In early stages of pregnancy, hormone changes trigger headaches in some women.
- Food aversions or cravings. You might notice you’re craving certain foods or are more sensitive to particular smells and tastes.
- Swollen, tender breasts. Your breasts may become extremely sensitive or feel fuller in early stages of pregnancy.
- Fatigue. You may have a hard time staying awake because the levels of progesterone, a hormone, increase drastically in early pregnancy.
- Frequent urination due to increasing hormone levels.
- Mood swings due to rapidly changing hormone levels.
It’s a good idea to take a pregnancy test If you experience pregnancy symptoms — especially if they persist or you have reason to believe you might be pregnant.
What to Expect from a Pregnancy Diagnosis at Dignity Health Southern California Hospitals
Pregnancy tests, either urine-based or blood tests, measure the amount of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG). This is a hormone that quickly increases in the first few days and weeks of pregnancy.
Home pregnancy tests are urine-based tests. They feature a dipstick which is either dipped into a container of collected urine or held in your urine stream. Be careful to read and follow the directions exactly and wait the suggested amount of time before reading your test.
Make an appointment with your Dignity Health Southern California doctor to confirm your results. Your doctor may use a urine-based pregnancy test or draw a sample of your blood for a blood-based pregnancy test.
If your test is positive, schedule a prenatal visit with one of our experts. If your test is negative and your symptoms persist, we may order another pregnancy test and conduct a physical exam.
Being pregnant is big change, and our doctors and nurses are here to help you every step of the way through this exciting time. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us to determine your signs of pregnancy in Southern California.
Specialized Dignity Health doctors are experts at assessing pregnancy symptoms and signs of pregnancy in Southern California.