Pregnancy is a time of great changes. It’s common to feel excited and nervous all at once. It’s also common to have plenty of questions.
The caring, supportive doctors and staff at Dignity Health Southern California hospitals partner with you throughout this time of transition. Our pregnancy specialists offer comprehensive care during your pregnancy in Glendale, Long Beach, Northridge, Downtown LA, Oxnard, and San Bernardino, including urgent care in Fontana and Highland. Find a Doctor at one of our comfortable, modern birth centers today.
Pregnancy Symptoms & Signs of Pregnancy
The most widely recognized sign of pregnancy is a missed period. Other common signs and symptoms of pregnancy are mood swings, morning sickness, and a positive at-home pregnancy test. If you think you’re pregnant, see your doctor to confirm the pregnancy.
Tests During Pregnancy
Throughout your pregnancy, your doctor will carefully monitor you and your baby’s health through tests and screenings.
Common prenatal tests include:
- Pregnancy ultrasound to assess the baby’s development and determine the baby’s due date
- Nuchal translucency screening to assess the probability your baby will have Down syndrome
- First trimester screening to determine the likelihood your baby has certain chromosomal disorders
- Amniocentesis to confirm or rule out certain genetic disorders and infections
- Biophysical profile to check the baby’s health and well-being in the third trimester
Pregnancy Services at Dignity Health Southern California Hospitals
Every pregnancy is different. Some women may want or need additional care and services such as:
- Childbirth classes to help couples learn about pregnancy and birth
- Lamaze classes, a type of childbirth class that teaches couples techniques to cope with labor and birth
- Breastfeeding services, including breastfeeding classes that can be taken during pregnancy
- Maternal-fetal medicine, specialized care for women who have pre-existing health conditions or pregnancy complications
A pregnancy complication is a health problem that occurs during pregnancy. They may include:
- High-risk pregnancy, a pregnancy in which the mother or the child are at increased risk for medical complications
- Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy, a common pregnancy complication which may or may not signal a serious problem
- Ectopic pregnancy, which occurs when a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than the uterus
- Gestational diabetes, or elevated blood sugar levels that could potentially harm the mother and newborn
- Placenta previa, a condition in which the placenta covers or partially covers the mother’s cervix
- Preeclampsia, a marked elevation in maternal blood pressure that usually reverses following childbirth
Prenatal care during pregnancy increases the chances of a healthy pregnancy and birth. Your Dignity Health Southern California hospitals doctor will help you understand your options and make recommendations specific to your needs, always prioritizing the safety and well-being of you and your baby.
Dedicated Dignity Health doctors offer comprehensive pregnancy services in Southern California.