Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a nervous system disorder. In people with MS, the immune system attacks the protective coating of nerve fibers in the spinal cord and brain, making it difficult for the nerves to communicate effectively, or at all.
At Dignity Health Southern California, our treatment strategies for MS focus on slowing progression of the disease, restoring physical function, and providing other types of support.
Find a Doctor at your nearest hospital to receive exceptional MS treatment in Southern California. Our expert doctors, nurses, and staff are fully committed to personalized multiple sclerosis treatment and caring for your physical, mental and spiritual needs.
Explore Your Personalized Treatment Options
MS treatment requires comprehensive care from a coordinated health care team. At Dignity Health Southern California, treatment is tailored to your unique symptoms and may include:
- Physical therapy to maintain muscle tone and function
- Occupational therapy to improve performing everyday activities while minimizing fatigue
- Speech therapy for issues with speaking
- Vocational therapy, including job re-training or modification for individuals with disability from MS
- Cognitive therapy with a neuropsychologist to improve problem solving and reasoning
- Medications, including injected, oral, or infused drugs that work on the immune system to reduce inflammation. Some of these medications, called disease-modifying drugs, may disrupt the course of the disease and provide long-term symptom relief.
- Medications to treat related conditions such as pain, fatigue, bladder dysfunction, or emotional changes
- Social support to promote quality of life and independence
- Braces or orthotics to manage conditions such as foot drop
- Assistive devices, including canes, walkers, or wheelchairs
Multiple Sclerosis Treatment at Dignity Health Southern California
When you come to us for your MS treatment, your doctor and care team will personalize your treatment plan to your unique needs. Because each person experiences MS differently, we will work with you to design an MS treatment plan that addresses your current symptoms and prevent additional ones.
Your doctor will explain the goals and potential risks before beginning medication therapy. We will work with you to manage any side effects and minimize risks. Sticking to your MS treatment plan is important to avoid MS attacks, or flare-ups — a sudden worsening of symptoms.
By taking an active part in your treatment and partnering with your care team at Dignity Health Southern California, we can help improve your quality of life with MS. Dignity Health doctors provide excellent multiple sclerosis treatment in Southern California.