When the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus grows outside of the uterus, the condition is called endometriosis.Tissue may grow on the bladder, ovaries, and bowel. Endometriosis can cause heavy, painful menstrual periods and infertility.
The exact cause of endometriosis is not yet known. However, research has indicated causes may include:
- Gene mutations
- Immune disorders
- Previous surgery
At Dignity Health Southern California, we bring skill and sensitivity to diagnosing endometriosis symptoms, with your lifestyle and family planning preferences in mind. Find a Doctor online and visit one of our comfortable, modern locations for endometriosis treatment in Southern California.
While it’s possible to have endometriosis and no symptoms, common symptoms are:
- Painful menstrual cramps
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Pain in the lower abdominal area
- Pain during sex
- Painful bowel movements or urination during menstrual periods
Endometriosis Treatment at Dignity Health Southern California
Your doctor will talk with you about the severity of your symptoms, your medical history, and your reproductive goals. Together, you’ll develop a plan that works for you.
Treatment for endometriosis may include:
- Hormone therapy to help control hormone levels and ease symptoms. Hormone therapy may include birth control pills, IUDs that contain progesterone, contraceptive injections, and medications.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication to relieve pain.
- Surgery, often performed to improve fertility in women who wish to have children, or when other treatments have not provided enough relief. It’s important to know that surgery isn’t a cure for endometriosis. About 40 to 80 percent of women develop symptoms again within two years. If your endometriosis is severe, and you do not wish to have children, your doctor may recommend removing your uterus or ovaries.
- Fertility treatment. Your Dignity Health doctor can collaborate with a fertility specialist as a part of your holistic health care team.
- Lifestyle changes, such as getting regular exercise and avoiding alcohol and caffeine.
Dignity Health Southern California is committed to excellence in diagnosing and treating conditions that keep women from feeling well. Your doctor will work with you to help you heal and regain optimal health.
Dignity Health doctors provide exceptional endometriosis treatment in Southern California.