Gynecologic conditions are problems that affect a part of the female reproductive system, including:
- Fallopian tubes
Common gynecologic conditions include:
At Dignity Health Southern California, the special health concerns of women are addressed by a full team of board-certified doctors, specialists, and specially trained nurses and support staff. We work together to provide comprehensive treatment for gynecologic conditions in Southern California. Find a Doctor near you today. Find a Women's Center at a Dignity Health facility near you.
Symptoms of Gynecologic Conditions
Symptoms can vary depending on the specific condition. To get an idea, take a look at these conditions and the symptoms they tend to cause:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): Irregular menstrual periods, acne, weight gain, and excess facial or body hair
- Endometriosis: Pelvic pain and cramping, heavy menstrual bleeding, and lower back and stomach pain during your period
- Uterine fibroids: Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Vaginitis: Burning, itching, and vaginal discharge
Causes of Gynecologic Conditions
Gynecologic conditions can have a wide range of causes. Here are some examples:
- Endometriosis occurs when the uterine lining grows outside of the uterus. The exact cause is not yet known, but it may be related to an immune system disorder, previous surgery, or retrograde menstruation, when blood flows back through the fallopian tubes instead of leaving the body.
- PCOS, a hormone disorder involving abnormally high levels of the “male hormone” androgen.
- Vaginitis, an inflammation caused when the organisms that keep the vagina healthy are destroyed, often due to taking antibiotics or having extreme stress.
- Uterine fibroids have no known cause. However, women seem to be at higher risk who have a family history.
Treatment for Gynecological Problems at Dignity Health Southern California
An expert diagnosis of your specific gynecologic condition is the first step in receiving appropriate treatment.
If you have an infection, such as an STI or a UTI, it may be treated with antibiotics. Treatment for fibroids ranges from a “watch and wait” approach to fibroid removal surgery. For precancerous cells on your cervix, your gynecologist may recommend cryotherapy to freeze the cells.
At Dignity Health Southern California, you can rely on your doctor to take the time to talk with you about your symptoms, reach the correct diagnosis, and develop a treatment plan as individual as you are.
Dignity Health provides tailored treatment for gynecologic conditions in Southern California.