Bacteria, fungus, or a virus can cause your body to react with an infection. Common gynecologic infections are:
At Dignity Health Southern California, our doctors are fully dedicated to the unique health needs of women. Our approach is equal parts caring and expertise as we provide complete women’s health services, including treatment for female infections in Southern California. Get to know us and Find a Doctor online now.
Symptoms of Female Infections
You may or may not have a fever with a gynecologic infection. General signs and symptoms are:
- Inflammation (swelling)
Your specific symptoms will depend on the severity, type, and location of your gynecologic infection.
Prevention & Causes of Gynecologic Infections
Use good hygiene practices to help prevent infections:
- Urinate after sex.
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Change out of wet undergarments and clothing as soon as possible.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet.
- Avoid douching.
Be aware of these factors may increase your risk of infection:
- Sex can introduce germs into the urinary or reproductive tracts, especially in women.
- Introduction of foreign objects or materials. Having a catheter (a tube to drain urine from the bladder) increases the risk of infection, because germs can travel up the tube. Using a diaphragm for birth control increases the risk of UTIs by making it more difficult to empty your bladder. Sex toys can also carry germs.
- Certain medications such as corticosteroids and immunosuppressant drugs may increase the risk of infection. Antibiotics may increase the risk of yeast infections.
- Other medical conditions such as diabetes.
- Decreased immunity. Any medical treatment or condition that weakens your immune system, such as long-term steroid use, HIV, chemotherapy, or diabetes, increases the risk of infection.
- Changes in hormone levels during pregnancy and perimenopause.
Treatment of Gynecologic Infections at Dignity Health Southern California
It’s important to seek treatment for gynecologic infections. Left untreated, they can cause complications, including infertility. At Dignity Health, your doctor will work with you to develop an effective treatment plan with your overall health, lifestyle, and comfort level in mind.
Most infections that affect a woman’s reproductive and urinary tracts are treated with antibiotic and antifungal medication. Some medications are taken by mouth. Others are applied to the genital region or inserted into the vagina.
Dignity Health doctors provide complete treatment for female infections in Southern California.