Expert Diagnosis of UTI Symptoms in Southern California
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common, and most of them respond quickly to proper treatment. You can develop a UTI if bacteria gets into your urinary tract, infecting your kidneys, bladder, ureters (the tubes that drain urine from the kidneys to the bladder), or urethra (the tube by which urine leaves the body).
Dignity Health Southern California provides comprehensive women’s health services in a friendly, comfortable, modern environment. Our caring doctors provide expert diagnosis of UTI symptoms in Southern California. Find a Doctor online and plan your visit to one of our four convenient locations.
UTI Symptoms & Causes
Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection include:
- Urine that is cloudy, smells bad, or is reddish in color
- Pain or burning with urination
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Pressure in the lower belly
- Feeling tired or sick
Common causes of UTIs include:
- Sex, which can push germs up your urinary tract
- Using a diaphragm for birth control, which pushes against your urethra and may cause urine to stay in the bladder
- Wiping from back to front, allowing bacteria from bowel movements to enter your urethra
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder, which can cause bacteria to grow
- Changes in the vaginal environment because of hormonal changes, such as those that occur in menopause
- Using a catheter to drain urine
Receive UTI Treatment at Dignity Health Southern California
If you have symptoms of a UTI, see your doctor right away. Most women feel better soon after beginning treatment.
Your doctor at Dignity Health Southern California will order a sample of your urine to confirm bacteria is present and indicate which antibiotic will work best. Most UTIs can be cured with antibiotics by mouth within a few days. Your doctor may also give you medicine to help you feel more comfortable.
Your doctor may prescribe additional antibiotics if you get three or more UTIs in one year. If you tend to get a UTI from sex, even though you urinate after sex, your doctor may prescribe a prophylactic (preventative) dose of an antibiotic. Your doctor may also suggest additional tests to better understand why your infections are so frequent.
To help prevent urinary tract infections, follow these steps:
- Urinate whenever you feel the urge
- Drink cranberry juice and lots of water
- Avoid douching
- Wipe from front to back
- Urinate after sex to flush out bacteria
- Wear loose-fitting cotton underclothes
When you choose Dignity Health Southern California, we take your physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing into consideration, creating treatment plans that align with your preferences.
Dignity Health doctors provide personalized UTI treatment in Southern California.