ER Care With Kindness
The J. Thomas McCarthy Center for Emergency Services at California Hospital is the only full service emergency room (ER) in Downtown Los Angeles open 24/7. We serve more than 85,000 patients each year and provide efficient and high-quality emergency care with state-of-the-art equipment.
If you're experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911 immediately.
Downtown Leader in Emergency & Trauma Care
Emergency Services include:
- Trauma bays
- Emergency bays
- Family consultation room
- Family viewing room
- Walk-in entrance and ambulance entrance
- 24-hour on-site access to state-of-the-art digital diagnostic imaging equipment
- MRI and CT services ensure results in seconds, not minutes
Level II Trauma Center
The Leavey Trauma Center is the only Level II Trauma Center in the downtown area. The Center's team of highly skilled surgeons, anesthesiologists and specialists provide critical care to patients around-the-clock. Learn more about our Trauma Services.
Highest Quality Emergency Care
Quality of care matters – especially when operating one of the region's busiest ERs and trauma centers. Our Trauma Center has been recognized as having “zero deficiencies” since opening. We are one of the few hospitals nationwide to receive this distinction from the American College of Surgeons.
We are also Joint Commission certified as a Primary Stroke Center.
When should you go to the ER?
At California Hospital Medical Center, we are skilled in treating emergencies for adults and children. Head to an emergency room if you feel that you require immediate medical attention, including symptoms such as:
- Difficulty breathing
- Change in mental status, such as unusual behavior, confusion or difficulty walking or talking
- Chest or upper abdominal pain or pressure
- Sudden dizziness, weakness or change in vision
- Sudden, severe pain anywhere in your body
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Coughing or vomiting blood
- Severe bleeding
- Broken bones
- Trauma or injury to the head
If you need emergency care but you are not experiencing a life-threatening condition, make your wait more comfortable by selecting an estimated hospital arrival time online with InQuicker™. Select an estimated hospital arrival time that is convenient for you and simply wait at home until that time.
InQuicker should not be used for life-threatening emergencies or children under the age of three. Call 911 immediately for more serious conditions.