As a large academic medical center, St. Joseph's provides a robust collection of fourth year electives in a variety of areas. While we do open our electives to most MD institutions within the United States, our students from Creighton University School of Medicine and the University of Arizona do have first choice.
We do not accept medical students from foreign, international, or Caribbean institutions or any other institutions outside of the United States.
Comprehensive Elective Options
Our elective rotations for visiting students include:
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- General Neurology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology (including Detection and Management of High-Risk Pregnancy and Gynecologic Surgery)
- Radiology (including Diagnostic Radiology and Interventional Radiology)
- Surgery (including Neuro, Trauma/Acute Care, and General)
How to Apply
All M.D. medical students who wish to apply for an elective at St. Joseph’s Hospital & Medical Center/Creighton University School of Medicine Phoenix Regional Campus must submit their application through the Visiting Student Application Service.
All prospective medical students are required to submit the following information through VSAS:
- Completed VSAS application
- Verification of good academic standing (Neurosurgery applicants are required to upload a letter of good standing)
- Copy of Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of medical school transcript
- Verification that student has passed USMLE Step 1 (Neurosurgery applicants are required to upload a copy of their USMLE Step 1 score report)
- Immunization records (AAMC Standardized Immunization Form required)
- Verification that student has current BLS certification
- Verification that student has completed a criminal background check at their home institution
- Proof of a clear drug screening
- Verification that student has completed HIPAA training requirements and has been instructed in OSHA safety measures and infection control precautions
- Verification of malpractice insurance ($1,000,000 per instance/$3,000,000 per aggregate)
- Verification that student is required to hold personal health insurance during the time of the elective
- School photo and blank evaluation form required if offered a rotation
We only accept osteopathic medical students from A.T. Still and Midwestern for 4th year rotations. All A.T. Still and Midwestern students who wish to apply must first contact the student coordinator at their home institution for instructions and the application process.
Learn More about Elective Options at St. Joseph’s Hospital
To learn more about our elective options, call (602) 406-9900 or e-mail [email protected].