All conditions affecting a part of the female reproductive system are gynecologic. These include conditions that affect the:
- Fallopian tubes
Some common conditions that our gynecologists at Dignity Health treat are sexually transmitted infections (STIs), urinary tract infections (UTI)s, pelvic pain, and menopause symptoms. Our highly trained women’s health experts offer a wide range of advanced gynecologic services suited just for you. near you today for personalized care for gynecologic conditions in Arizona.
Symptoms of Gynecologic Conditions
Signs of each gynecologic condition vary, depending which part of the reproductive system is affected. Each woman is different, but common symptoms include:
- Vaginitis: Vaginal discharge, itching, burning
- Uterine fibroids: Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Endometriosis: Pelvic pain and cramping, lower back and stomach pain during menstruation, excessive bleeding during menstruation
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): Irregular menstrual periods, excess body or facial hair, acne, weight gain
Causes of Gynecologic Conditions
Gynecologic conditions and their causes vary widely, from vaginal inflammation to hormone imbalances. Here are just a few examples:
- Vaginitis is an inflammation of the vagina which occurs when the organisms that usually keep the vagina healthy are destroyed. This can happen when women take antibiotics or during times of extreme stress.
- Uterine fibroids have no known cause. They are usually benign (non cancerous) .
- Endometriosis is when the uterine lining (endometrium) grows outside of the uterus. The exact cause is not known, but possible explanations include retrograde menstruation (i)n which menstrual blood flows back through the fallopian tubes instead of leaving the body, endometrial cell growth around surgical scars, or an immune system disorder.
Ask your gynecologist at Dignity Health about any hormone disorders you might have, such as PCOS, which involves abnormally high levels of the male hormone androgen.
Our Trusted Gynecologic Condition Treatments
Your doctor will consider many things when treating your gynecological condition, including its cause. If you have an infection, such as an STI or a UTI, treatment typically consists of antibiotics. Fibroids may have a “watch and wait” approach, or they may require a surgical procedure to remove or destroy the them. If you have been diagnosed with precancerous cells on your cervix, your gynecologist may discuss your treatment options, including cryotherapy (freezing the cells) and laser therapy to destroy the cells.
No matter your gynecologic condition, rely on Dignity Health to prioritize your overall well-being and find a solution that address your unique needs. We have several locations across Arizona that can offer exceptional care.
Using the latest technologies and techniques, Dignity Health provides personal care and treatment for gynecologic conditions throughout Arizona.