Endometriosis is a medical condition that affects many women worldwide. It occurs when the tissue that usually lines the inside of the uterus grows outside of the uterus. In most cases, this tissue is found on the intestines, fallopian tubes, ovaries, bladder, on the outside wall of the uterus, or on other organs in the abdomen.
At Dignity Health of Arizona, we know every woman has unique health care needs. We are dedicated to supporting you and your individual health circumstances. Our wide range of services are guaranteed to provide you with the most advanced care available. If you would like to learn more about our expert care for endometriosis in Arizona, Find a Doctor online.
Causes & Symptoms of Endometriosis
While the exact cause of endometriosis isn’t entirely clear, it is thought that it may be a hereditary condition caused by a gene mutation. Other possible causes include autoimmune disorders and previous uterine surgery.
Women with endometriosis often report differing symptoms, and some women report having no symptoms at all. The most common symptom of endometriosis is heavy, painful menstrual periods. Other signs and symptoms include:
- Lower abdominal pain
- Painful bowel movements or urination during menstrual periods
- Pain during sexual intercourse
Treating & Preventing Endometriosis with Dignity Health
Your team of doctors will suggest a treatment plan tailor-made to fit your needs. They will take into consideration the location and extensiveness of your endometrial growth, your medical history, and your whether or not you want to become pregnant in the future. Treatment may include:
- Lifestyle changes such as getting regular exercise and avoiding alcohol and caffeine
- Medications, including NSAIDs and other pain relievers
- Hormone therapy, including birth control pills, IUDs, hormone-blocking medications, and hormone injections
- Minimally invasive surgery to remove endometrial tissue that is outside of the uterus
- Hysterectomy (removal) of uterus and/or oophorectomy (removal) of ovaries if your endometriosis is severe and you do not want to have children in the future
- Fertility treatment depending on your ability and desire to have children
At Dignity Health, we will work closely with you to develop a treatment plan that works best to meet your reproductive goals, while helping to relieve your symptoms. We are committed to providing you the most comprehensive care and support available.
Dignity Health ensures patients get personalized care with humankindness from endometriosis in Arizona.