Gynecologic oncology is a subspecialty of gynecology that focuses on the medical and surgical care of women with cancer of the reproductive system.
Dignity Health provides comprehensive care for gynecologic oncology in Arizona. We have three first-class facilities in the Arizona area fully dedicated to women’s health services:
Ultimately, it's not our buildings or departments that heal. It's our people, from the most renowned physicians to dedicated nurses and support staff. At Dignity Health, your gynecologic oncologist leads a health care team that includes radiologists, pathologists, nurses, and support staff for complete, coordinated care. Use our online Find a Doctor tool to schedule an appointment today.
Conditions Our Gynecologic Oncologists Treat
Our gynecologic oncologists are specialized in recognizing the risk factors and signs and symptoms of primary and metastatic gynecologic cancers. These female reproductive cancers include:
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer including endometrial cancer and uterine sarcoma
- Ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Gestational trophoblastic disease, which can be cancerous but is usually noncancerous
Gynecologic Oncology Services at Dignity Health
Our gynecologic oncologists help women with new or recurrent cancer explore diagnostic procedures and treatment options. Diagnostic tests may include:
- Imaging tests
- Pelvic exams
- Genetic testing
These tests help confirm the presence, location, stage, and spread of cancer.
Common treatments are:
- Preventive surgery to remove precancerous cells such as abnormal cells of the cervix
- Prophylactic surgery for women at high risk for cancer such as those with a strong family history or specific genetic defects
- Surgery to remove cancer and affected lymph nodes
- Medical treatments, including chemotherapy, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy
- Reconstructive surgery to restore function or improve appearance of areas damaged by cancer surgery such as the vagina and vulva
- Palliative therapies, including medications and physical therapy to manage pain and other symptoms during and after cancer treatment
Our gynecologic oncologists also provide regular monitoring to determine if cancer treatment is working and modify treatment plans as necessary.
Dignity Health provides comprehensive women’s health services, including treatment for gynecologic cancer, including cervical cancer and ovarian cancer, in Arizona.