Dominican Hospital Outpatient Rehabilitation Center’s Vestibular Rehabilitation provides an evidence-based approach in Physical Therapy aimed at decreasing or eliminating dizziness and imbalance in patients with vestibular dysfunction.
Signs and Symptoms of Vestibular Disorder
Primary symptoms are often dizziness, sense of spinning and disequilibrium. Often there are associated complaints of headache, fullness of the ears and head, deconditioning and muscle tension.
Conditions That Can Benefit From Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Bilateral & Unilateral dysfunctions
- Otolith Dysfunction
- Vestibular Labyrinithitis
- Acoustic neuroma
- Meniere’s Syndrome
- Neurologic Disorders (stroke, brain injury, multiple sclerosis, post-concussion syndrome)
- Post-Concussion Syndrome
Vestibular Rehabilitation includes an evaluation and treatment by a physical therapist with specific training in vestibular disorders.
- Intensive interview with the patient regarding the specifics of symptoms, chief complaint and functional limitations
- A neuromusculoskeletal examination
- An oculomotor exam
- A positional exam (ie. Dix-Hallpike Maneuver and the Motion Sensitivity Quotient)
- Balance and postural control evaluations using functional and outcome based measures
Objectives of the Vestibular Program
- Decrease or eliminate patient’s symptoms of vertigo/imbalance
- Improve balance/postural control
- Improve gaze stability
- Improve overall conditioning and endurance
- Improve safety during ADLs
- Educate patients and family regarding vestibular disorder and management
Each patient is given an individualized treatment program which may include:
- Home exercise program
- Habituation exercises
- Gaze stabilization exercises
- Balance/postural control exercises
- General conditioning program
- Functional activity training
- Compensation/Substitution strategies
- Manual Therapy
The RealEyes System is a computerized aid for vestibular rehabilitation. It allows the therapist to more accurately assess patient’s vestibular function and provide a customized treatment to eliminate dizziness related symptoms.
To Request an Assessment
Please contact your physician for a referral. Many insurance companies cover our services, including Medicare, private insurance and Workers Compensation.
Learn More About Vestibular Rehabilitation at Dominican Hospital Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
For more information about Vestibular Rehabilitation at Dominican Hospital Outpatient Rehabilitation Center or to make an appointment, please call (831) 457-7057. Fax number: (831) 457-7071.