Your favorite activities or sports can result in overuse injuries. Our orthopedic doctors know that repeated motion can injure your tendons, ligaments, muscles, bones, and joints.
Pain, swelling, and a hard time moving your body often suggest an overuse injury. For the well-being of your mind, body, and spirit, Dignity Health Central California’s sports medicine doctors provide compassionate care with humankindness.
Find a Doctor today for personalized care and overuse injuries treatment in Central California.
Types of Overuse Injuries Examples
Over time, the repeated motions involved with your daily life or athletic interests can lead to an orthopedic condition requiring medical treatment. Our trusted orthopedic doctors see a number of common overuse injuries examples, including:
- Sprains and strains of your ligaments, muscles, and other soft tissues
- Stress fractures, which are small cracks in your bone
- Bursitis, a swelling of the bursa around your joint
- Tendonitis and other tendon problems, such as tears
- Growth plate problems in children, which may interfere with the growth of bones
If you have any of these problems, your pain usually gets worse with certain activities and may get better with rest. Grinding, clicking, creaking, or popping also can be a sign of an overuse injury.
Your Dignity Health Central California sports medicine team specializes in treating overuse injuries. At all times, our focus remains on your healing journey so that you can return as soon as possible to the things you love to do.
Overuse Injuries Treatment at Dignity Health Central California
The first step to healing is taking a break from activities where you repeat the same motion. Splinting, anti-inflammatory medicines, corticosteroid injections, and physical therapy will help with your healing. Learning proper body movements can aid with overuse injuries recovery time and prevention. Orthopedic surgery may be necessary to heal completely.
You can help prevent overuse injuries by:
- Participating in a variety of sports and activities
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Balancing cardiovascular exercise, flexibility, and strength training
- Spending time warming up and cooling down even if you are just doing activities around your home
- Taking the time to rest from physical activity so that your body can heal and recover
- Using the right equipment that fits properly
For the care you deserve, meet with a sports medicine expert at Dignity Health Central California.
Dignity Health Central California orthopedic doctors can help you heal after sports injuries in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.