The Integrated Breast Center at St. John’s Regional Medical Center, a Dignity Health hospital, is proud to share the success of our 8th Annual Breast Symposium held on Saturday, October 14th at the Serra Center in Camarillo. Approximately 300 community members enjoyed empowering speeches, group discussions, exhibitions and food.
“The Annual Breast Symposium exemplifies our hospitals’ commitment to providing the Oxnard and Camarillo communities with access to the latest information and best possible treatments that medical care has to offer,” says Darren Lee, President and CEO of St. John’s Regional Medical Center and St. John’s Pleasant Valley Hospital. “Our event grows larger each year, and thanks to the support of our generous sponsors, we continue to add more to the experience.”
Hosted by Lynn Jeffers, M.D., Medical Director of St. John’s Integrated Breast Center, the day began with an inspiring welcome from Darren Lee. Ventura County Supervisor Kelly Long spoke next about her personal support for breast cancer awareness, followed by Jonathan Morris, who shared his heartwarming story about supporting his wife during her breast cancer journey.
The annual event also included panels of oncology medical experts, breast care specialists and survivors discussing medical science, treatment options, modern reconstructive possibilities and lifestyle management.
“We are thrilled at the enthusiastic turnout for our 8th Annual Breast Symposium,” says Dr. Jeffers. “St. John’s Integrated Breast Center and St. John’s Healthcare Foundation put a lot of work into making this event both useful and fun for participants. Our goal is to empower our community with knowledge and support. We are proud to share the resources available to patients at St. John’s.”
Complimentary registration included:
- Healthy catered breakfast and lunch buffets
- Speaker presentations followed by interactive Q&A panels
- Smaller and more personal breakout discussions
- Expo booths with chair massages, bone density testing, skincare consultants, specialized breast care clothing, art, jewelry, and boutique fashion
- Photo wall, raffle prizes, swag and gift bags
Panel 1 Speakers:
- Lorraine Benavides - Patient Perspective
- Katie Burnham, PA-C - Genetics of Breast Cancer
- Fariborz Mortazavi, MD - Systemic Treatment for Early Stage Breast Cancer
- Behzad Noorbehesht, MD - Breast Imaging, Understanding Your Options
- Susan Speer, RD, CSO, MS, FADA - Can You Eat to Beat Breast Cancer?
Panel 2 Speakers:
- Lisa Brand, MD - What Are My Surgical Options?
- Lynn Jeffers, MD - Breast Reconstruction, Empower Yourself
- Henry Montes, MD - Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer
- Diane Martell, LMFT - Wellness and Well-being
Two Special Breakout Sessions:
- "Real Perspectives from Survivors: What No One Tells You"
- "Breast Reconstruction: Up Close and Personal"